If you are planning to learn about SEO and don’t know where to start, you have come to the right place. First, let’s understand what is SEO and why we are using it.
SEO as the name suggests is search engine optimization. In other words, you have to optimize your website to make it rank at the top of SERP(search engine result page). Now you must be wondering, how to do it. There are a few methods to improve the ranking factors. But the most important thing to remember is that you have to optimize your website organically. i.e paid method is not allowed. Once paid, it becomes SEM( search engine marketing).
In SEO, for the website to rank organically, it takes time. It may take weeks, months, or even years to rank your website in the top position in SERP. But the best part is that once it is ranked in the top position, it will stay there. It will have its own position. Here the traffic is free, although it requires some investment in both resources and time. The number of persons clicking on organic versions is comparatively much higher than the paid versions. There is a sense of security in organic versions among people.
Activities of SEO
The main aim of SEO is to rank your website in SERP. For that, it has to get free traffic. Only when your website is listed on top of SERP, there are more chances for people to see it. Good SEO carries out various activities
- Identifying good keywords with high search chances
- Creating relevant and useful content which is useful for the users.
- Attaching links that are relevant to the topics.
- Analyzing the results
SEO has become an important marketing activity these days.
Knowing how to rank your website, brand, or company according to the searchers is the main skill that every digital marketer should acquire. Though there are small frequent changes in SEO, its key principles do not change.
SEO can be divided into three based on optimization.
- Technical optimization: The activities of technical SEO happen behind the scenes. It is not related to the content.
- On-page optimization: Here the importance is given to the content. It ensures that the content is relevant and provides a great user experience. It includes choosing the right keywords which help to rank the website in SERP. It can be done through a content management system such as WordPress, Wix, etc.
- Off-page optimization: off-page optimization is done to improve the rankings through activities that are outside the website. These are largely done by driving backlinks, which improves the reputation of the website.
also read: 7 ways to start a million-dollar start-up
How does a search engine work?
A search engine starts its work when a user searches for some answers on the internet. There are search engine algorithms that look for clues to give exact results to the searchers. Search engines work on mainly three steps: crawling, indexing, and ranking.
Crawling: Here the robots search for different websites checks the content and see whether they are changed or updated. They follow the links, they have already discovered.
Indexing: The next step is indexing where the data crawled by robots are kept in the database. If the webpage is worthy to be crawled, then it will be placed for indexing.
Ranking: it is the most important step. Once the website is crawled and indexed, the algorithm will decide to rank it on SERP depending upon its quality.